Sunday, January 31, 2010

Letting go of some of my favorite songs

Blog Stuff

I usually say in comments that I'm going to blog about somethings so here goes.

HASA

HIV/AIDS Service Administration ( HASA ) is a real institution in New York City. They do provide public housing to HIV/AIDS patients. I choose Mott Haven because of it's historical neighborhood and growing artist population. An apartment twice the size of a Manhattan apartment is 900-1200 dollars a month as opposed to 1600.

Character Portrayal

I originally wrote in a character who was supposed to be a neighbor in the building who ran a daycare (hence the broken toys and children paintings) but she didn't fit as an entire character into my final draft.

Conversation

Tomas and Sofia's conversation in Lithuania goes as follows

"I love you . . . you are very beautiful to me"

"I'm sorry I don't speak Lithuanian"

It's supposed to be a little tongue-and-cheek, because he doesn't think she understands him.

Chapter 15


Playlist

I.

+1+ - It's not over- Secondhand serenade

+2+ - This I swear - Nick Lachey (yeah, I know)

+3+ - Bless the Broken Road - Selah

+4+ - Sorry, blame It on me - Akon

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Chapter 15 - God

33 comments:

  1. Hey, Linda really great chapter !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, hon something about this was really adorable and that picture at the end. So sweet.

    Love Secondhand Serenade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only Linda Leigh can use Backstreet Boys and Nick Lachey and make it work.

    ♥ ∞

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda mentioned Tomas and Sofia would learn more about each other, I think they are on 2 completely different pages. They can't seem to even really communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think reading Tomas's prayers was one of the most heartbreaking things ever. I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with the above posters, reading Tomas's prayers was just beautiful . . . It almost makes it hard to believe they were written by Linda Leigh and writer and not Tomas, a real person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if Tomas will give up the tattooing ? because Jewish people think it's against the bible. This was really beautiful, it makes me like Nick Lachey again !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hoping Adam would make a reapperance ! Does that baby's eye color have anything to do with anything ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What exactly was Sofia planning to do exactly if she did not go to the hospital ? Or was that her disease talking ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of all of the songs you have used I have to say this is my favorite set. I was jamming to some !

    Which ones are the 'some of your favorites' from the song title ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's fair to say the Tomas's sexuality thing is still pretty up in the air then ?

    Drawing a heart on the HIV test thing is kind of sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess I can agree with Jason on it still being up in the air but, I think the 'who was Linda's biggest inspiration' debate is settled.

    Sorry, Joel

    ReplyDelete
  13. The description of the baby having bruises because of the needles, that just broke my heart. The who description of the baby in the machine, they really hit me-- I cried. It's so sad ):

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some reason, I honestly thought Sofia would have a daughter . . . maybe it's because she is such a feminine-girly person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the Selah song is really about Tomas and Sofia's son. I can't wait to see how this continues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is sweet and the ending warms the cockles in my heart. I thought it was kind of stupid for them to take him off the machines. Isn't that dangerous ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you used to be a OBGYN, was any of this chapter based on any kind of true stories ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That last picture is the most adorable thing I have ever seen in my entire life ! It is so nom-worthy !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this chapter was some of your best work yet ! But, I am on edge waiting to see how all of Tomas and Sofia's secret pasts will come to light.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the conversation in Lithuana is one of the most adorable Tomas/Sofia moments.

    I feel like we don't get enough Sofia. I never liked her until that chapter that was just her at the Baptist College. The more I hear from her, the more I like her.

    I miss hearing from her ! I hope we have more Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't imagine taking in a baby without having anything prepared months in advance ! I think Sofia made an impulsive decision but it was a maternal one. I hope her baby makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll copy everyone else and say I loved the last scene and picture. I kind of think the Nick Lachey song could have fit in the last part too but, I like the music variety too !

    That picture is sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Linda, this was amazing I felt like I could actually see the scene taking place. Something about the writing feels so real, it kind of makes me sad that 'it's just a story' and I shouldn't really be feeling such strong emotions.

    You are such a role model for writers Linda !

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so funny how all of these songs are so different; rock, pop, gospel, R&B but, have the same theme. I think what makes people have strong reactions is the use of music.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That last scene is so adorable, I always thought newborns were born blind, I have no idea why.

    The way Tomas says the baby's eyes are unnervingly green seems so . . . S&A. Most people would say bright or happy or beautiful but, unnerving is not that common.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I still don't get it entirely, is Tomas straight or not ? I thought he was when he says he was the only straight guy there but than later he says he liked Terry ?

    I'm so confused

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like how Tomas is there for Sofia even though he can't support what she has done. This chapter was really great, I loved the music.

    I Lovett !

    ReplyDelete
  28. Is Elijah the baby's name ? It doesn't seem like one Sofia would pick but it's nice. Will we ever find out if she put Tomas's name on the birth certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  29. “I’m sorry I can’t keep you”, she tells him, “I love you, though”

    So simple but so sweet. That line made my eyes well up for some reason. My husband thinks I'm crazy for tearing up over that.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This may or may not be a plot hole but, if Tomas doesn't sleep in a shirt than how could she not have seen the rings hanging around his neck ?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I actually think Nick Lachey's music is actually more soulful than most pop songs and are actually pretty nice. I think we still think of him as that guy from 98degrees singing "Give me just one night" while shaking his hips.

    *has embarrassing memories of middle school dances.*

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think this brings up a question of ethics though. Is it really safe to give a baby to parents with AIDS and mental illness. You would think they would realize it's not fair.

    ReplyDelete

  33. @ Erik - Thanks

    @ Shawna - Love Secondhand Serendaes Philosphy

    @ Joel - I try.

    @ Cira - I can see that

    @ July - Oh, really ? I hope it wasn't to hard to read.

    @ Violet - Um, thanks . . . I think

    @ Topaz - He's ethnically Jewish, so no.

    @ June - only that Sofia doesn't have green eyes, it address the ambiguity.

    @ Princess_Ariel - actually she has PTSD about Hospitals. Everytime she is in a hospital she talks about anxiety and fears.

    @ Carleigh - I do like Akon, it has a great beat and message.

    @ Jason - I guess it is.

    @ Wilson - is it . . .

    @ Heidi - Oh, no I hope the picture made up for it.

    @ Daisy - honestly, me too

    @ Ashlyn - In a way yes, the song is.

    @ HPgirl - it was only for a little while.

    @ Lorri - A mixture

    @ Raine - I thought so too.

    @ sugarcookie - me too

    @ peacegoddess - I realize I haven't been switching voices but I really wanted a focus on Tomas, we will hear from her.

    @ S. Carter - She did

    @ Petie_B2 - Maybe, but probably not.

    @ BostonGirl - To much pressure ! JK

    @ Rei - I know, right.

    @ Marianne - Well you have to see it from his POV, it's proof that another man is responsible for the baby.

    @ Gena - he is very confused to, and we will see why later.

    @ MST - I like the music too.

    @ Taby - Yes, his name is Elijah. This choice may seem relevant later.

    @ Wendy_F - Your husband's the crazy one !

    @ Appletini - um, . . .

    @ Elena - in all fairness (to Nick) this song came out in the 21st century.

    @ Sandy - Very true

    Thank you guys for hanging in here with me.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think !