Monday, November 15, 2010

Lot's of Shawna Shout Outs

Oh, Shawna I blame you

After reading about how SH re-read  parts of LA, SA and FS. . . I decided to do the same thing, and I was certainly glad I had one of my mom's famous martinis in hand (read: a regular martini in a 6 oz glass). Working on that series was a great first experince I don't think I realized how much Sofia and Tomas went through. I think starting with Free Spirits there was a lot tension between them and I feel like I can say they got happy ending they deserve.


I kept asking myself "why did I make them do that" and then I would think "oh, that's why".
On a funny note I can't believe I only used "Fuck" once and "Shit" twice in the entirety of Litany Lane and HOF. Both are said by "evil" characters (Roger and the Men whose car hits Clara).

Thinking of Litany Lane

I've always felt that part of Litany Lane is that was  it was very "high concept", but I always felt that the characters would never stay in Nightfall in the end and that bothered me becuase I like to leave room for sequels. Once again while re-reading notes I did remember a meta thing I put into LL to reason for creating sequels and it is when Emile is talking about the book he is writing.

One day when she is set to return she decides to runaway. Upon hearing this Hades sends the underworlds’ notorious inmates out looking for her. It goes on in exciting detail about the wreckage the Titans and Persephone cause on the living world

- Chapter 7, LL

While I did enjoy creating my own fictional world, as I'm sure Shawna knows, it's really hard.
.

Chapter 3

That was one of the easiest chapters for me to write, once again there isn't anything too particular about this chapter except it establishes a pattern I'm surprised no one commented on.  . I realized  what needed to happen was that chapter 4  needed to have a more abstract set up, so we will see how this goes.

Chapte 4

This chapter put me through the ringer, the timeline on my documents tells me that I have been working on this since October and none of the original material is in thier now.

For some reason I think chapters get better the more they "age" but that isn't neccesraily true as I remember from chapters of SA for example the chapter Wildflowers was written the day it was posted and it is one of my favorites

I want to thank Shawna for her advice, I did try writing for myself but I kept saying "wait what happens now ?". This is one of the issues with writing from an outline I have started to connect the dots before I draw them !  Meaning some parts of this chapter were written months ago. It will get easier since every other chapter through 8 (er, except 6) is written.

Playlist

+1+ - My Immortal - Evanescene
+2+ - Broken - Life House
+3+ - Life For Rent - Dido
+4+ - Ascolta- Einaudi
+5+  Ain't No Reason
+6+ - Good Enough - Evansecene
+7+ - Don't Fear The Reaper - Gus (cover)

Chapter 4

38 comments:

  1. Oh, hon I really loved this chapter, I know I say that everytime but the way this is written is just enchanting.

    I am assuming this is Fierro’s voice but, is there a particular reason we never really hear his name get said ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Also--

    I would love to get into your writing process because I can’t imagine skipping a chapter

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Squeee ! An update, ITA with Shawna, I could read from Mr. Fierro’s POV all day. Is it hard to write

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine those random visits from Lucie must be creepy but, of course it brings the question--where is she when she isn’t with Fierro ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nirvana(the band)--Nirvana (the idea) I C what you did thar ! Maybe ?

    Isn't there really a self help book called Nirvana or something ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can kind of tell stylistically this chapter was more complicated than the last chapter. Writng about events is easy but writing about an internal struggle can be harder, I imagine. This one was great though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason Wildflowers is a chapter of S&A I always remember it was my favorite. I can’t believe it was written in a day. Would you say this chapter was written in 2 months then ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the pattern about how chapters switch between Fierro and Clara ? Or how there is some Emile in like every chapter ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The numbered sections in the chapter for from 4 to 6, there is no number 5 ! It’s all good though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People are going to think I am emo but, I love me some Evanesecene, that song is so good it fits this story perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The title of the last song creeps me out a bit. I wonder how the idea of a reaper works in LL-verse. I mean maybe there is a reaper of the specters. . . the word reaping is so creepy !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet Robert Essex is like Clara, Emile and Fierro and has “survivied” Beneath Heaven and then wrote a book about it. Sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ^^
    Or he is friends with a spectre or he is a spectre controlling someone to write the book. BTW the name Robert Essex is so . . . British.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always afraid everyone Mr.Fierro runs into will eventaually die. I’m surprised Lucie hasn’t killed Emile . . . I hope I didn’t give you any ideas Lile ):

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to make sure I have the time line correct. Does Chapter 4 happen before Chapter 3 but, after the second half of Chapter 2. Does that make any sense ? I guess the question is does Mr.F go to Ireland before or after this chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I find Mr.Fierro’s chapters so lamentful, he just seems really sad. I can see now how happy he was with Clara in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  17. strawberrri_margeheritaNovember 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

    I am afraid the little girl is going to be Kayla, I can’t think of who else it would be who he would recognize the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is the thing about chapter 3 that Rose seems to be really smart for her age. I don't know anything about kids but, she seems to have good reasoning skills and excellent grasp of the language.

    And now I am thinking about Breaking Dawn *shiver*

    ReplyDelete
  19. ^^
    Dudes, in reply to a few other comments "Reaping" or "Shiver" would be badass names for horror movies because I mean, the name "Paranormal Activity" sounds like some kids of Canadian Teen Sitcom or something.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found this chapter quite haunting all because of Lucie's appearance. So creepy ! Is their a reason Fierro refers to phone numbers in letters ?

    ReplyDelete

  21. @ Shawna - There is no reason, for some reason it jst never came up.

    @ Shawna - or one or two

    @ July - Hmm, not really

    @ June - Good Question

    @ Ashlyn - I don't know

    @ Violeta - Thanks hon

    @ SLodger - Yes, maybe more

    @ Topaz- the pattern will be more obvious next chapter

    @ sugarcookie - oops

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't think of the right word but, the writing seems very disjointed, but I mean in a good way. Like we are reading things as Mr. F experiences them. I guess my best example is when he is like he called a cab and can't remember telling it to go there but, he must have. . . I don't know I just feel Mr.Fierro's pain and confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've noticed you always say the ending of S&A is what the deserved . Do you mean they are both messed up and this is the best they can get or are you saying this is the happy ending to struggling lovers need ?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, I tots think that the frame Fierro has was supposed to be for Clara's brother. I am going to see if the last names match !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww, after all this time the bromance between Fierro and Emile might be over !

    ReplyDelete
  26. What kind of cruise only takes 14 people ? Is it a European thing ?

    ReplyDelete
  27. The ships name,Matisee I always read as Maltese,lol.

    Is it pronounced Ma-Tees or Ma-Tiz

    ReplyDelete

  28. I accidentally pressed enter.

    @ Nybarista - wait, which one

    @ Hpgirl - It was a song from the 70's they were all on drugs then

    @ Rei - I'm not saying

    @ Harper - Funny you say that

    @ Trish - I'll say no

    @ Chapter 4 happens before Chapter two. This chapter takes place in 2008 while chapter two (the first part) takes place in 2011. Does that make since

    @ spirited_angel - there is a reason for this

    @ strawberri_m - intersting thought

    @ Tabbi - lol

    @ Erik - really ? Really ?

    @ Illa - oh, hm



    ReplyDelete
  29. Umm, so whose numbers did you use as Emile's phone number ?

    ReplyDelete


  30. @ Carleigh - Yes, that it is a good observation. He is talking about something that happened 3 years ago.

    @ Heidi - The last one, I mean they really suffered

    @ Hana - oh, hmm

    @ Quinn - LOL

    @ usernamehere - yes and no

    @ appletini - Ma-tiz, like the artist

    ReplyDelete
  31. I get chills whenever the word August comes up, I always feel like that is significant to LL. BTW, is August still considered canon ? I seriously read Decanter every day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @ Shawna - Oh, I just closed my eyes and picked random numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Elena - Yes, it is ":Canon" but somewhat (very midley) regrettably so.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how exotic--for lack of a better word this is. I feel like I have gone all over the world in a matter of minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oops I read Sienna as Shawna, sorry

    I also read Ella as Elena.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Princess A- Wonderful, that was the point

    ReplyDelete
  37. @ Lile- I meant the song Immortal. I love it !

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think !